Saturday, April 10, 2010

week 12: changing collections ... reflections on readings

The readings this week were very interesting and significant, dealing with something most of us do on a daily basis ... access free information online. I am a fan of open access information and agree that free access is "...promoting use and integration of knowledge into the lives of all citizens."(Kopak). Yes, this is a form of "public education". Willinsky echoes this and states, "increased presence is arguably good for the state of knowledge". My feeling is that in a world where information is available, why not use it ... selectively, of course. Let's educate as many as possible. Unfortunately, there are some issues to be dealt with, as everyone seems to be a writer these days, but I say we keep going as long as we can ... knowledge is a good thing.

At the moment, I am not too concerned about Esposito's "cost" issues. Maybe I should be but, right now, I am loving the idea of free information.

No comments:

Post a Comment