Thursday, April 1, 2010

week 11: doing some exploring ...

I took a look at some examples of OSS and found some that were familiar and others that were very new to me. Pidgin looks like an interesting instant messaging software, I like how it supports a variety of operating systems. Miro video converter ... converting video to MP4...this would definitely be useful at home and possibly in a school setting ... read aloud books, perhaps. I have seen Firefox because both of my children seem to use it but tell me that they do not prefer it as a web browser ... they also admit that they have not explored it much. I am interested in Open Office. This one might be worth looking into further as I am always curious about new word processing software. Moodle, an application tool for creating a learning site, looks quite user - friendly. This is a nice surprise! Everything is well labelled and I could see using this software to create courses, lessons, practice exams. I like the forum that is available on this site; communication with other educators would be helpful. I am amazed at the reach that Moodle has ... with participants from all over the world. I would like to show this to my colleagues and see if, over the summer, we could put some things together. I think I will make a note of this one and do some more exploring.

No comments:

Post a Comment