Wednesday, March 31, 2010

week 11: my refections on open source software and learner management systems

Teachers often share materials, ideas and information in order to provide the best learning environment for their pupils. Teacher support systems have always existed but have changed throughout the years. In this new information age, educators are fortunate to have access to an almost endless supply of resources which are, quite literally, at our fingertips. I found the Schoolforge site to be a good example of a TSS as it provides a variety of resources , whether one is looking for news, case studies or even a workshop or two. I like this site and I think that educators will use more sites like this in the future.

Speaking of interesting sites ... recently, our principal recommended a site to our staff: bc.exambank.com/. This site offers practice exams for students. I would consider using this type of resource and often find myself looking online for various types of lesson based information.

I really like the approach that Ross and Waymack are taking with the systems that they have developed . They have each created an environment that allows for very effective and productive communication. Ross' comment about the overwhelming response he gets online after asking an algebra question is very significant " ...you may get 100 hits within 15 minutes." This is exactly what a teacher would like ... interest and interaction/participation! This means that the students are engaged so there is a greater chance for learning. It seems that there is a certain level of comfort in this type of learning enviroment. The fact that both Ross and Waymack have gotten very positive feedback/results from their learning management systems makes me think that this will work in our schools. For myself, I find that I am feeling more and more comfortable with the Vista system and would not hesitate to use it again.

As a teacher - librarian in an elementary school , I am "tapped into" each classroom, as I interact with each teacher and student and provide information and support for all. In my mind, both the library and the teacher-librarian are a large part of the tss in a school and, as a result, must explore the learning management systems and open source software that is available.

No comments:

Post a Comment