Monday, March 15, 2010

Week 9: videos and sharing ... my topic presentation week

This was my week for the topic presentation portion of this course and I spent many hours searching and researching as I was not exactly sure which direction to take with the topic of videos and sharing. I found many interesting bits of information on media collections available on the internet. I found a site called "SchoolTube" and some cool (and inspiring) videos (one of which I used in my topic presentation). After a few days, I realized that I was very impressed with the collaboration aspect of this topic. In my mind, collaboration means sharing ideas and, in doing so, becoming involved and active. Is there a better way to learn?

Video sharing can be both physically and mentally engaging. A student can watch and learn from a video (i.e. demonstrating how to do a task) or the same student can create a video through any type of social network. An example of creating a video could go something like this ... in a library setting, a book club group creates a video before and after reading its assigned book: the first video (before the book was read) could be a collaboration of predictions about the book and the second video (after the book was read) could present reflections about the book. The possibilities are endless and the video sharing sites offer many ideas.

The natural appeal of media collections is something which teachers need not ignore ... this form of "sharing" enables us all to reap the benefits of "putting our heads together", coming up with many amazing results! Perhaps this is the start of the new "active" learning library.

Henry Ford said ... Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success. How true.

No comments:

Post a Comment