Friday, March 5, 2010

Yes, another blog entry ... this one about Twitter

After reading the Twitter article on the iLibrarian site (by the way, I really like this site), I am amazed at the popularity of yet another social networking site. I am not sure why there are so many of these sites but I guess each one has its own unique features. Twitter is going strong and I can't help but feel that its popularity is based on the fact that it is a constant and current feed of (social) information. Like being able to connect with someone at anytime or any place. In an elementary school setting ... this would not really be my first SNS choice. The upper intermediate students could handle the flow of information but I think that the younger students would find Twitter overwhelming. Hmm ... will have to look into this.

2 comments:

  1. Twitter is my constant, on-demand, 24/7 personal professional development. I can turn it off anytime, but usually it is there, running in the background on my computer. Everytime I check it, I learn something new, I find an interesting link, I read something that is good to share with my students. I learn something EVERY day from using twitter. And I have the opportunity to connect with people that I would never otherwise get to learn with and from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your comment on learning something everyday is interesting. I think it would work for me, as a professional, and would totally look into this. I have to look around to find a good one (or two) to start. As far as using it in an elementary school setting, I don't think that many these students would use it for anything other than a purely social vehicle...i.e chatting to friends etc. They would, however, develop "twitter" skills to use in the future.

    ReplyDelete