Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Todd's article ... collecting info

Todd's article is very interesting. Once again, the role of the librarian is forefront in my mind and I feel that a large part of my job is to teach my students how to find information ... research skills. But how do I adjust my role, as the Web 2.0 world is a new one. Every one of my students is comfortable using a computer and I am pretty sure that he/she has, at some point, "googled" something ... looking for info . So, access to info is no problem ... but ... according to the info in Todd's article, this is where we (teachers) come in. Todd mentions that even though students do not hesitate to look things up on the internet, often this research is done in a somewhat "sloppy" manner ... skimming and power browsing (instead of reading thoroughly) for example, is very common. What about checking more than one source? How many students do this? The teacher-librarian steps in here and teaches proper information literacy. Teaching the "google generation" how to collect information is a must.

No comments:

Post a Comment